About our Catalysts‣ How They Work
‣ Operation and Maintenance
‣ Gasket Info and Ordering
‣ Why Use A Catalyst?
‣ When to Replace
About Us‣ Fast, Easy Shipping
‣ Catalyst Warranty
‣ How They're Made
‣ Designing New
‣ Other Condar Products
‣ Contact Us
Advantages of STEELCAT™ Catalysts
- A more durable honeycomb that will not crack
crumble, even at the highest operating temperatures.
- Less build-up of wood ash within the honeycomb cells. Sharp steel edges actually "cut" ash as it goes up the flue which creates better air
flow and requires less maintenance.
- Lower "light-off" temperature. You can engage your draft bypass at 400°F (204°C) vs. 500°F (260°C) with a ceramic honeycomb.
- Steel heats up faster than ceramic so it recovers more usable heat from wood smoke.
or crumble, even at the highest operating temperatures.
STEELCAT™ Catalyst FAQ
Q. Does the steel heat up faster for greater efficiency? Can I disengage my bypass sooner?
A. Yes, the steel catalyst "lights-off" earlier, you can engage your draft bypass at 400°F (204°C) which is 100°F (38°C) sooner than a ceramic catalyst can be engaged.
Q. Why are the STEELCAT™ cells smaller than the ceramic honeycomb cells?
A. Because the steel cell walls can be thinner than ceramic walls, your performance is better. More catalyst is exposed to
smoke coming up your chimney which means more heat is generated.
Q. Do STEELCAT™ catalysts last longer than ceramic catalysts?
A. No. Like with ceramic catalysts, the catalyst metals eventually wears out. After several years you'll notice gradually
decreased heat from your woodstove, increasing chimney creosote, and dark smoke from your chimney.